An exam may include:
- Complete head-to-toe medical examination
- Time with a specialized nurse to discuss the health impact of physical abuse
- Evaluation and documentation of injuries
- Forensic digital photography
- Assessment for injuries, such as strangulation (choking)
- Safety planning and advocacy services provided by DC SAFE
You have the right to a free, confidential exam, whether or not you report the incident to law enforcement.
Exams typically take between 1-2 hours but may take longer depending on the injuries present.
A forensic exam can provide documentation of current and past abuse that could be beneficial in criminal or civil legal cases.